Have you ever discovered that your otherwise “normal” donor prospect owned an apartment building or maybe a strip mall? I have! Should you and can you find a meaningful valuation of this kind of commercial real estate? It depends, and you can!
I’m thankful to have trained under one of the best in the business, Allen Thomas, who specializes in complex gift planning, especially real estate.
Working with Allen at the very beginning of my nonprofit career exposed me to the most fascinating of asset complexities–mineral rights valuations, commercial real estate with environmental hazards, and all kinds of ways in which “clunky” assets can achieve an individual’s philanthropic goals and further a nonprofit’s mission.
So, when the Prospect Research Institute’s members were tackling identifying and providing meaningful fundraising insights on commercial real estate, I knew I had to catch up with Allen.
And Allen did not disappoint. He packed in some great ideas, resources, and current trends specifically in gifting real estate. You are in for a treat!
- ThomasPG.com | Need help with complex commercial or other real estate gifts? Contact Allen Thomas at Thomas Charitable Advisors LLC for expert gift planning advice and services.
- ClearCapital.com | Clear Capital offers residential and commercial property appraisal services that you can order online.
- NHDreport.com | Order natural hazard reports on real estate via this online service.
- AiP | advisorsinphilanthropy.org | The International Association of Advisors in Philanthropy, Inc. (AiP) is a network of diverse professional advisors who are devoted to mastering and promoting the principles and practices of client-centered planning.
- CGP | charitablegiftplanners.org | The National Association of Charitable Gift Planners (CGP) is the leading organization setting standards for charitable gift planners.